FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Information: Janet D'Alesandro
(856) 256-2422; email@example.com
Nephrology Nurses Honored with Awards, Scholarships, and Grants at ANNA Symposium
Pitman, NJ The American Nephrology Nurses Association (ANNA) recognized outstanding members and chapters with more than $100,000 in excellence awards, educational scholarships, and research grants at its recent 43rd National Symposium in Orlando, FL.
Suzann VanBuskirk, BSN, RN, CNN, received the Outstanding Contribution to ANNA award for her dedication to nephrology nursing, exceptional leadership skills, and passion for professional development and volunteerism. VanBuskirk is employed at DaVita and is from Elkton, MD. In honor of her contributions, VanBuskirk received a lifetime membership in ANNA, a logo pin, and a commemorative plaque.
The Ron Brady Memorial Award for Excellence in Volunteer Leadership was presented to Ellen Dutschke, RN, CNN, Associate Nurse Manager at Jewish Hospital in Louisville, KY. Described as a "fantastic leader with the ability to motivate people" regionally and within her local chapter. She has been instrumental as the Legislative Representative for ANNA Chapter 336, facilitating state and local representatives to visit dialysis units to educate and increase their awareness about nephrology nursing. Sponsored by ANNA's management company, Anthony J. Jannetti, Inc., the award is named in honor of ANNA's long-time executive director.
During the symposium, ANNA presented many other awards, scholarships and grants, including those listed below. A complete listing of ANNA award, scholarship, and grant recipients recipients is available on ANNAs Web site.
Awards presented at the symposium included the following:
- Clinical Practice Award: Cynthia Frazier, MSN, RN, CNN, Fairfield, AL; Department of Veterans Affairs
- Nephrology Nurse Educator Award: Patricia Kirchgessner, RN, CHN, Floyd Knobs, IN; Fresenius Medical Care of North America
- Excellence in Nephrology Nursing Management Award: Patricia Olson, BSN, RN, CNN, Vaughn, MT; Benefis HealthCare
- Quality Care Award: Susan Bridger, BSN, RN, CNN, CPDN, Memphis, TN; Davita
- Spirit of Nephrology Nursing Award: Valerie Lee, MSN, RN, Boise, ID; St. Lukes Nephrology Clinic
- Helen Feigenbaum Award for Promotion of Excellence in Nephrology Nursing: Debra Castner, MSN, RN, APNC, CNN, Forked River, NJ; Jersey Coast Nephrology & Hypertension Associates
- Research Abstract Award: Sheila Doss-McQuitty, BSN, RN, CNN, CCRA, San Jose, CA; Satellite Healthcare, Inc.
- ANNA Board of Directors Award: Nida Quirong-Jones, RN, CNN, Philadelphia, PA; Albert Einstein Medical Center
- Representation Award: Lauretta Williams, RN, CNN, Marin City, CA
- Research Sharing Award: Sheila Doss-McQuitty, BSN, RN, CNN, CCRA, San Jose, CA; Satellite Healthcare, Inc.
- Kelly McManus Award: Sylvia Donato-Moore, BSN, RN, CNN, Houston, TX; Davita
- Nephrology Nursing Researcher Award: Joni Walton, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, Helena, MT; Reconstructive Surgery of Montana
Nephrology Nursing Journal Writers Awards
- Clinical Practice: Debra Castner, MSN, RN, APNC, CNN, Forked River, NJ; Jersey Coast Nephrology & Hypertension Associations. Article: Management of Patients on Hemodialysis Before, During, and After Hospitalization: Challenges and Suggestions for Improvements, published in the July/August 2011 issue.
- Education: Kim Lingerfelt, MSN, FNP-C, CNN-NP, Chattanooga, TN; Chattanooga Kidney Centers, LLC. Article: An Educational Project for Patients on Hemodialysis to Promote Self-Management Behaviors of End State Renal Disease, published in the November/December 2011 issue. Co-author: Kathy Thornton, PhD, RN
- Research: Jane Gardner, DNP, RN, Chicago, IL; Jane K. Gardner, Inc. Article: Striving to Be Heard and Recognized: Nurse Solutions for Improvement in the Outpatient Hemodialysis Work Environment, published in the May/June 2011 issue. Co-author: Joni Walton, PhD, RN, ACNS, BC
- New Author Award: Sylvia Donato-Moore, BSN, RN, CNN, Houston, TX; Med Center DaVita at Home, DaVita, Inc. Article: Buttonhole Cannulation Technique in a Patient with Keloid Scarred Skin on Home Hemodialysis: A Case Study, published in the January/February 2011 issue.
- Outstanding Chapter Recognition Award: Tri-State Ohio (North Central Region)
- Chapters Strategic Collaboration Award: Dogwood, Masters City, & Peach Chapters (Southeast Region)
- National Chapter Recruitment and Retention Award: Central Missouri Chapter (North Central Region)
ANNA is now accepting nominations for its 2013 Awards, Scholarships, and Grants program in which more than $100,000 will be available. The application deadline is October 15, 2012.
ANNAs 44th National Symposium will be held April 21-24, 2013, at the Rio All-Suite Hotel, Las Vegas, NV. For more information about ANNA, visit the associations Web site at www.annanurse.org; call 888-600-2662, 856-256-2320; fax 856-589-7463; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
ANNA is a professional nursing association with over 10,000 members. Its mission is to advance nephrology nursing practice and positively influence outcomes for individuals with kidney disease through advocacy, scholarship, and excellence.