On November 22, 2013, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a final rule that updates Medicare policies and payment rates for 2014 for dialysis facilities paid under the End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Prospective Payment System (PPS). CMS decided to implement a 3- to 4-year transition for the drug utilization adjustment to the base rate mandated by Congress as part of the American Taxpayer Relief Act, and overall payments for 2014 will see a 0% change. The rule also finalized a 50% increase to the home dialysis training add-on payment adjustment that is made for both peritoneal dialysis and home hemodialysis training treatments. Click the links below for additional information.
- Final Rule ~ End-Stage Renal Disease Prospective Payment System, Quality Incentive Program, and Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies
- CMS Press Release ~ November 22, 2013
- CMS Fact Sheet ~ CMS Finalizes Policies and Payment Rates for End-Stage Renal Disease Prospective Payment System for CY 2014
- CMS Fact Sheet ~ CMS Finalizes Policy and Payment Rate Changes for End-Stage Renal Disease Facilities in 2014
- Click here for background information regarding the Proposed Rule.