The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the proposed rule “Changes to the End-Stage Renal Disease Prospective Payment System for CY 2014.” This rule includes the proposed reduction in the prospective payment system (PPS) to account for lower drug utilization as required by the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012. CMS is proposing to reduce the base rate in the PPS by 12%. CMS is also proposing a market basket update of 2.9%. The public comment period on the proposed rule closed on August 30, 2013.
- Go to the Proposed Rule
- Go to CMS Fact Sheet: CMS Proposals to Update Policies and Payment Rates for End-Stage Renal Disease Prospective Payment System for CY 2014
- Go to CMS Fact Sheet: Medicare Proposals for New Requirements for the ESRD Quality Incentive Program, Including for Payment
Response to Proposed Rule
- ANNA Responds to CMS Proposed Rule Regarding ESRD Prospective Payment System and Quality Incentive Program (8/30/13)
- ANNA Joins Kidney Care Leaders Against Proposed Cuts in Medicare Funding for Dialysis (7/3/13)
- Kidney Community Expresses Concern Regarding CMS-Proposed Cuts in Medicare Funding for Dialysis (7/13)
- Letter from ANNA President Norma Gomez to Members Regarding CMS' Proposed Cuts to ESRD Program (7/10/13)
Comments Submitted to CMS Regarding Proposed Rule
Take Action ~ Contact Your Legislators
- Write to your legislators to express concerns about the proposed cuts.
- Note: Please view this list of legislators. If you are a constituent of one of these Members of Congress, it is particularly important that you contact or send a letter to the editor (see samples below) of your local paper.
Resources / Talking Points / Sample Letters to the Editor
- Sample Letters [Word] ~ Adapt one of these templates to send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper regarding this issue. Download Sample Letter 1 or Sample Letter 2.
- Talking Points [PDF] ~ Use this information as a guideline when speaking with your legislators regarding this issue. Remember to personalize your message!
- Protect Life-Sustaining Dialysis Care from Payment Reductions [Word] ~ Issue Brief (developed by Kidney Care Partners)
- Protect Dialysis Care from Payment Reductions [PDF] ~ Slide Presentation (developed by Kidney Care Partners)