Several ANNA members authored articles in the October 2013 issue of Nephrology News & Issues:
- Norma Gomez, MBA, MSN, RN, CNN ~ Five Challenges Impacting Nephrology Nursing
- Alice Luehr, BA, RN, CNN ~ Nephrology Nursing: A View from the Other End of the Dialysis Needle
- Gayle Hall ~ Nurses Help to Educate Legislators About Kidney Disease
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a training video for frontline dialysis staff that addresses best practices for preventing bloodstream and other infections in hemodialysis outpatients. The following ANNA members served in advisory roles during the video development:
- Deborah Brouwer, RN, CNN, Technical Advisory Board
- Kerri Holloway, RN, CQM, Technical Advisory Board
- Glenda Payne, MS, RN, CNN, Technical Advisory Board
- Lllian Pryor, MSN, RN, CNN, Technical Advisor
Debra Hain, PhD, APRN, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, was selected to serve a 3-year term (beginning October 2013) on the American Society of Nephrology (ASN) Geriatric Nephrology Advisory Group. The responsibilities of this committee include working with other ASN committees to ensure that ASN educational activities meet the needs of constituents; promote collaboration among constituents, such as research activities; facilitate dialogue about issues of interest to constituents, develop recommendations about these issues for the ASN Council to consider, and publish position papers in ASN's periodicals; assist ASN's efforts to generate external support for its activities; and interact with other organizations that relate directly to the advisory group's constituents.
Cathy Bishop, a member of the Central Virginia Chapter, was awarded the Department of Veteran Affairs Secretary’s Award of Excellence by the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center. This award is presented annually to a nurse who demonstrates dedication, compassion, and genuine commitment to excellence in nursing. Cathy researched the topic of “Prevention of Pressure Ulcers in Hemodialysis Dependent Spinal Cord Injured Veterans and Individuals with CKD.”
- ANNA President-Elect Sharon Longton is interviewed by Renal Business Today. Click here to read the Q&A session with ANNA's new president-elect.
- Donna Mapes received the Barbara Prowant Lifetime Achievement Award in Nephrology Nursing during the Awards Ceremony at the 2013 Annual Dialysis Conference in Seattle on March 9.
Sheila Doss-McQuitty, BSN, RN, CNN, CCRA, provides insights into home dialysis and its growing popularity as a treatment option in an article appearing in Advance for Nurses. Click here to read the article, “Hemodialysis at Home.”
Beth Ulrich, EdD, RN, FACHE, FAAN, ANNA Past President and editor of the Nephrology Nursing Journal, was recognized by the American Journal of Nursing with a 2012 Book of the Year Award for her publication entitled Master Precepting: A Nurse's Handbook for Success. The book focuses on the role of nurse preceptors as the essential link between what nurses are taught and what they do. Dr. Ulrich will be speaking on this topic at ANNA's 2013 National Symposium in Las Vegas. Her session, Master Precepting, will be offered on Wednesday morning, April 24. Click here for more information.
- Dr. Rowena W. Elliott was among 175 esteemed nurse leaders who were inducted as fellows into the American Academy of Nursing (AAN) this year. The ceremony was held during the Academy’s 39th Annual Meeting and Conference on October 13, 2012, in Washington, DC. Composed of the nation’s top nurse researchers, policymakers, scholars, executives, educators, and practitioners, the 2012 cohort was the largest class of inductees into the Academy, which is a subsidiary of the American Nurses Association (ANA).
- Janie Martinez, BSN, RN, CNN, was featured on KABB Fox 29 in San Antonio, TX, on Friday morning, October 5. Janie demonstrated a patient screening on anchor Monica Taylor. Fox featured the segment to inform the public about the American Kidney Fund's Kidney Action Day, a free event that included kidney screenings, fitness demos, and children's activities on Saturday, October 6, at the AT&T Center in San Antonio. Click here to view the segment.
Cindy Richards, BSN, RN, CNN, was honored with a 2012 B-Metro Excellence in Nursing Award on August 17, 2012, in Birmingham, AL. These awards recognize nurses who have made a significant impact on patient care, gone “Beyond the Call”, demonstrated excellence, and shown commitment to community. Cindy was recognized for her many contributions to enhancing patient care, including writing bilingual pre- and post-transplantation patient education materials, developing a critical path for staff to help guide care for transplant patients, and working with Camp BRIDGES, a camp program for transplant patients and their families. Click here for more information.
Norma Gomez, MSN, MBA, RN, CNN, was named the 2012 Volunteer of the Year by the Kidney Community Emergency Response Coalition (KCER). This award was announced during the 7th Annual KCER Summit meeting, held May 9, 2012, in National Harbor, MD. Ms. Gomez, ANNA's 2012-2013 President-Elect, was recognized for her significant contributions to KCER over the years, including serving as the Team Leader of the Coordination of Staff and Volunteers Response Team; maintaining ANNA's emergency volunteer database; being the first Response Team Leader to establish and test a team call tree; voluntarily staffing KCER's exhibit booth at regional and national meetings; and disseminating educational information on deployment in disasters.