The Nursing Alliance for Quality Care (NAQC) has released a white paper entitled “Fostering Successful Patient and Family Engagement: Nursing's Critical Role.” The paper calls for supporting nurses in increasing patient engagement and supporting patients and their families in meeting the challenges of making health and health care decisions.
The paper outlines a strategic plan encompassing six areas of opportunity that are essential to transforming patient engagement. These include:
- Ensuring that nursing education emphasizes patient engagement.
- Amplifying the professional standing of nurses as champions for patient engagement.
- Strengthening support for nurses as advocates in the care environment of patients.
- Aligning payment incentives to encourage patient engagement.
- Enforcing regulatory expectation and standards that support patient engagement principles in practice.
- Intensifying efforts to conduct and disseminate research on patient engagement.
The paper was developed through a national consensus process, including input from a panel of national nursing experts, a national conference, and the NAQC board of directors and staff. The white paper builds on the Guiding Principles of Patient Engagement that was released in July 2012.