September 1 marked the start of the 11th annual National Preparedness Month. Each September since 2004, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has observed National Preparedness Month. During the month, FEMA and various local, state, and federal agencies encourage U.S. residents to become better prepared for emergencies and disasters. In addition, September 21-27 has been designated as Kidney Patient Disaster Awareness Week.
For additional information about emergency preparedness, go to the following resources:
- www.Ready.gov publications page - featuring free downloadable resources and brochures in many languages
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "Be Ready" Web page
- Kidney Community Emergency Response Coalition (KCER)
- KCER September Preparedness Web page